For CSUN students, final exams loom. Luckily, support is ready and waiting during Crunch Time — two weeks of programming and resources presented by the University Student Union (USU) and CSUN Library.
Starting Wednesday, Dec. 4 and running through Dec. 11 (with the exception of Friday, Dec. 6), from 11 a.m. to 1 p.m. the USU will offer free beverages, such as coffee and tea, snacks, and a variety of craft projects for students (and faculty!) to destress in the East Conference Center (located near the SRC entrance), as well as mini massages. In addition, study rooms will also be available all day inside the East Conference Center. There, students can also pick up free school supplies, such as Scantrons, green books (a more eco-friendly version of essay exam blue books), pencils, pens and highlighters.
During finals, Dec. 11-17 (with the exception of Friday, Dec. 13), from 7:30 a.m. to 9 a.m., the USU will offer a free hot breakfast and beverages, such as coffee, tea, hot chocolate and orange juice to students in the Plaza del Sol.
Starting Dec. 6, the library will extend its hours from 7 a.m. to 2:45 a.m. and will offer free finals survival kits to current CSUN students who have CSUN IDs. The kits will include earplugs or a pillow, chocolate, fruit snacks, school supplies, such as a pen or highlighter, and information on how to obtain research help. Students can pick up their free survival kit — along with free Scantrons — at the Guest Services Desk in the first-floor Learning Commons, while supplies last. The Learning Commons also will display a giant doodle wall/board (a large paper or whiteboard where multiple people can write messages and respond to other messages already there), where students can express themselves and write about how their finals are going.
The library is also offering the following services and stress-relief resources during finals:
- Students can enjoy gaming (including virtual-reality gaming) at the Creative Media Studio starting Dec. 6: open Mon. to Thurs. from 9 a.m. to 8:45 p.m., and Fri. from 9 a.m. to 4:45 p.m.
- The CSUN Tabletop Club invites students to play board games and relax in the Automated Storage and Retrieval System (AS/RS) room from 2:30 to 7 p.m. on Dec. 10, Dec. 11 and Dec. 17, and from 3:30 to 7 p.m. on Dec. 13.
- The Klotz Student Health Center will host guided meditation in Room 251 of the library, from 12 to 4 p.m. on Dec. 10. Students are welcome to drop in during any portion of that time.
- Students who need a break can check out the arts and crafts session to color, make buttons or play with Play-Doh from 11:30 a.m. to 1:30 p.m. on Dec. 9 in the library’s first-floor lobby.
- Last but not least, don’t miss this perennial Matador favorite: Love on a Leash Therapy Dogs will visit the library portico (outside the main doors, on the southeast side of the building) from 11 a.m. to 1 p.m. on Dec. 11.